Ezibu Muntu is seeking $3,800,000 to Purchase Sharon Church, located at 22 E. Leigh Street in Richmond Virginia for performances and training purposes. Cost of the site is $630,000; leasehold improvements $1,300,000, $295,000 stage construction and lighting equipment; $700,000 video conferencing capabilities, $250,000 theater chairs and furnishings and $250,000 to subsidize operating capital requirements for twelve months. Please view grant information for a complete breakdown of cost. (Qualified Funders Only)
The Company has rented facilities to perform for 43 years, and their current location is crowded to the extent that it does not comfortably accommodate participants. Purchase of the Leigh Street facility will provide a place to host concerts, rehearse, conduct classes and sponsor other cultural events. Ownership of the facility will provide ancillary income streams from organizations, corporations or individuals seeking venue space for conferences, seminars, workshops; conventions, weddings, receptions, banquets, concerts, and recitals.
Rehabilitation is necessary (please see contractors assessments and bids Attachment A) to the sanctuary to convert into a theater, which previously held 450 to 500 parishioners, approximately the number of people that attend Ezibu Muntu’s annual concerts. Generation of additional revenues for the company will assure Company sustainability within the community for generations to come.
- Financial Information Please contact Founder Tanya Dennis at: email@example.com to request additional information: Construction/Contracts; Pro Formas; and Company financials. You will be required to identify your Corporation or Person. Thank you - Tanya D. Dennis
Ways to Support Ezibu Muntu
Ezibu Muntu African Dance Company and Cultural Foundation has been a vital force in communities since 1973. Throughout the country, our traditional African and African American dance concerts have opened a world of discoveries about movement, culture, heritage and style. They depict timeless stories about what is important to us through language that everyone can understand.
Muntu means “Essence of Humanity”. We see no limits to what the human spirit can accomplish, nor boundaries between our artists and the communities where we perform. Dance is simply our way of connecting, communicating, and committing to the people with whom we share experiences and expertise.
- Ezibu Muntu needs volunteers with sewing skills to create costumes. Patterns are available. Having a sewing machine is necessary.
- The Company needs bolts of fabric, feathers, bells, leather, beads and masks. Wearable African masks are a plus. If you have that talent please contact us.
- Church – Corporation – Bus Company Alert! The Company will be performing in Durham North Carolina January 1st and Washington D. C. (December 26, 2016) and need a bus and driver for safe delivery to and from these upcoming events.
- IMPORTANT! We need community support to purchase and restore The Sharon Baptist church. The Leigh Street Event Center will be the gem of Jackson Ward. Please share the good work that we do. – Namaste
THE LEIGH STREET EVENT CENTER
Healing Communities, Healing ourselves
As owner and anchor tenant of the Leigh Street Event Center, Ezibu Muntu will expand its artistic reach by offering additional cultural arts to the community and the country. In collaboration with Richmond’s Black Repertory Theater, two new divisions will emerge; theater and music arts.
With 43 years of building self-esteem and knowledge of self in African American children, Ezibu Muntu’s theater division will serve as an additional tool to engage our youth and adult community in positive, supportive and nurturing programs.
The Leigh Street Event Center, within its 13,000 sq. ft. facility, will offer music, dance and theater, and will engage in teaching theater arts: acting, lighting, staging and internships that result in marketable job skills.
The Leigh Street Event Center is committed to teaching financial literacy from elementary to adult level. Financial literacy, a critical component for survival in America’s economy is sorely missing within the African-American community, and a deficit exists within our general educational institutions. The Event Center, once completed, will offer free financial classes to children and adults. The center will also have a band room and recording studio for public use.
Conferences * Workshops * Seminars * Banquets * Receptions * Youth Programs * Theater * Dance * Music
Richmond Community, we need your help!
Donate now to make The Leigh Street Event Center a reality!
Diamond Level: $3,800,000
Gold Level: $2,000,000
Bronze Level: $1,000,000
Silver Level: $500,000
Copper Level: $100,000
Friends of Ezibu Muntu: $99,000 – $50,000
Honorable Mention: $49,000 – $25,000
For more information contact: Tanya Dennis, Founder at 323-490-6127 or Renee Knight, Executive Director at 804-687-6584
Grant available upon request
GIFTS for EZIBU MUNTU
If you wish to mail your 501(c)3 tax deductible gift, please send it to:
Ezibu Muntu African Dance and Cultural Foundation
P.O. Box 62
Richmond, VA 23219
Ezibu’s dynamic performances, classes, and unique community collaborations are possible because of generous donors like you. A donation to our Foundation helps Ezibu share the wonder and excitement of African dance with students and the community. Your support also provides dance and drum scholarships for students.
Become a DRUM CIRCLE of Ezibu Muntu for $2500+.
Become a PARTNER of Ezibu Muntu for $1000-2499.
Become a FRIEND of Ezibu Muntu for $500-999.
Become a PATRON of Ezibu Muntu for $250-499.
Become a SUPPORTER of Ezibu Muntu for $1-249.
- PARTNER benefits plus
- Acknowledgment on all printed materials and press releases
- Full Website placement & link
- Public address at concert
- FRIEND benefits plus
- 4 tickets to any performance
- Listing on Website Sponsor Page
- Event/Program Public Address
- PATRON benefits plus
- 2 free tickets to concert
- Event/Program acknowledgement
- 1 free ticket to annual concert
- Letter of recognition/child thank you
- Letter of recognition/ child thank you